Propylene Glycol is a synthetic organic compound.
It is a viscous, colourless liquid which is nearly odourless but possesses faintly sweet taste.
It is miscible with solvents such as water, acetone and chloroform.
Molecular Formula of Propylene Glycol:
- It is produced on large scale and is primarily used in the production of polymers.
- It is used as a process fluid in low-temperature heat-exchange applications.
- It is used in edible items such as coffee-based drinks, liquid sweeteners, ice cream, whipped dairy products and soda.
- In alcohol based hand sanitizers it is used as a humectant to prevent the skin from drying.
- It is able to lower the freezing point of water, so it is used as an aircraft de-icing fluid.
- It is used as a solvent in many pharmaceuticals including oral, injectable and topical formulations such as for diazepam, lorazepam which are insoluble in water.
- Certain formulations of artificial tears such as Systane uses Propylene Glycol as an ingredient.